Paint 101: The Fundamentals of Architectural Paint and Coating Technology
Learn the fundamentals of different paint systems and the latest technologies so that you can specify coatings that will provide the best outcome for your client.
Today’s architectural paint and coating products do so much more than protect a substrate and provide color. Recent technological advancements have produced coatings that can also solve problems for commercial and residential interiors and exteriors. Designing a multi-family apartment home? Consider a coating with odor-eliminating technology that can help keep a unit smelling as fresh as move-in day. Looking for an interior paint system for a hospital? Learn how microbicidal paint kills disease-causing bacteria on painted surfaces, helping to support a facility’s infection control practices.
What You Will Learn
- Learn the importance of selecting the right primer by understanding the role that a primer plays in the long‐term outcome of the topcoat.
- Learn the performance attributes and recommended applications for the five most common types of architectural topcoats, and identify which binder types typically have lower VOCs which may help contribute to LEED points.
- Be able to identify different sheens and know when to use each one.
- Understand VOCs, regulations and environmental standards so that you can specify products that meet or exceed environmental standards.
Continuing Education Approvals
- 1 IDCEC CEU | HSW | CC-114316 (Your CEU will be reported to IDCEC on your behalf by the Content Provider.)
- 1 AIA LU | HSW | Paint101OD (AIA Members: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have your completion reported by the Content Provider)
- 1 GBCI CE Hour | Course Number: 092024171 (Please self-report GBCI credit hours. Certificate of completion provided)
Access Period: One year from registration date.