Walk through each phase of a project and learn about the different ways a junior designer could contribute along the way.
Gain insight on how to incorporate research and evidence-based design in your projects, important skills for your first professional position.
What You Will Learn
- The work involved in each phase of the design process and how you could contribute
- Recognize the importance of research in design process
- How client presentations come together
- The importance of understanding construction documents and building codes
The Architectural Barriers Act and the Federal Government
Did you know? The Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standards (ABAAS) are the most widely applied physical access requirements for the design and construction of Federal facilities. The Architectural Barriers Act of 1968 (ABA), was a signature achievement in the history of disability rights as the first Federal legislation mandating that buildings be accessible. Familiarize yourself with the ABA and its relationship to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and how the ABA applies to your work designing federal facilities. We highlight the key ABAAS requirements and common mistakes affecting the interior design of workspaces. Learn how important the ABAAS is to interior design, with lessons you can apply in a wide range of projects implementing universal and accessible design.
Proof in Design: ASID Outcome of Design Awards 2020 Winners
Celebrating the power of design, the ASID Outcome of Design Awards highlight new tools and processes in design, strategy, technology, and research. The 2020 winning projects, the Sensory Wellbeing Hub by HKS and M Moser Associates Living Lab by M Moser Associates, successfully demonstrate the measurable effect of projects on people in spaces. Learn from the winners as they detail their processes and the human-centric results of their work. You will walk away with actionable approaches to design your projects with the goal of measuring results to yield research outcomes and support continuous learning. The 2020 Outcome of Design Awards are presented by ASID, in partnership with Herman Miller and Mohawk Group, with Metropolis as media partner.
From Concept to Reality: Construction Docs
You’ve developed your design, sold it to the client – and now you need to get the project built. Learn about the key areas for making a project a reality, including the steps to put together a construction documentation set, working with contractors, understanding the submittal review process, and more. Get the inside scoop from Melissa Pribyl, ASID, WELL AP, CHID, CDT (Construction Documents Technologist) as she walks you through construction projects with Mallory Keener, Project Engineer, Kiewit Corporation.
ASID Research Content
- 2019 Outlook Brief: Design Process Disruptors & Synergies
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 8 – M Moser Associates Living Lab
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 7 – Unity Health Care Brentwood
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 6 – Lassonde Studios
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 5 – studioIDS
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 4 – Nemours Alfred I. DuPont Hospital for Children
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 3 – Gradients of Green
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 2 – Dr. MLK Jr. School (+ Perkins Eastman research white paper)
- ASID Impact of Design Series Vol. 1 – ASID HQ (+ Research Highlights report)
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|