Engage your students with expert interviews and content direct from design practitioners.
Expand your curriculum and access insightful sessions from ASID Virtual Internship live engagements. The Virtual Library houses everything you need to supplement your syllabus with informative digital content from industry experts and design leaders, all available on-demand. Click on the "Content" tab to get started.
Winter Series | Standing Out: What Design Leaders Look For
Meet some of the 2021 ASID Student Portfolio Competition Jury! Learn about their firms, careers, expectations for the competition, and most importantly, gain an understanding of what employers are looking for when hiring and recruiting talent. Featuring Susan Chang, ASID, AIA, Partner, Shimoda Design Group; Sequoyah Hunter-Cuyjet, Design Advocate, Determined by Design; Betsy Nurse, ASID, Senior Principal, Director of Interiors, HOK; and moderated by Briana Guin, Allied ASID, Experiential Designer, Conde Nast.
Design Your Path
The interior design industry is vast and full of opportunities. Hear from Jennifer Kolstad, ASID, Assoc. AIA, as she shares her experiences navigating her own career, starting in hospitality design, leading to healthcare design, and finally to her current position as Global Director of Design at Ford Motor Company. Throughout her career, Jennifer has built her expertise and skills no matter the environment in order to create her own opportunities. Students will also learn how she approaches design projects using the “think, make, test” model to discover, design, and deliver results centered on the human experience.
In Conversation: Product Intros and Perspectives
This series of conversations between leading designers and companies offers students a deep dive into how designers navigate through new products and materials as they consider what is best for their clients and projects. Students will gain an understanding of questions to ask when evaluating products, how to navigate relationships with product representatives, and receive fresh insight on what is new from manufacturers.
- ROUND ONE
- Segment 1: Wood Flooring: Listen as Mindi Weichman, Design Director, Studio O+A, learns about wood flooring options for a new workplace project from Todd Youngs, Founder and Sales Representative – Northern California, Todd Contract.
- Segment 2: Plumbing Fixtures: Hear all about new plumbing fixtures from Jason Reynolds, Director of Hospitality and Architecture and Design, Fortune Brands Global Plumbing Group, as he presents options to Krista Ninivaggi, Allied ASID, Founder, K&CO, for a new condo project.
- Segment 3: Textiles: Listen in on a conversation between Kia Weatherspoon, NCIDQ, ASID, President/ CEO, Determined by Design, and Melanie Ambridge, Sales Representative, Momentum Textiles & Wallcovering, and learn about textile options for a new multi-family residential project.
- ROUND TWO
- Segment 1: Furniture: Listen as three designers from Chambers, Leslie Foster, ASID, Senior Interior Designer/Associate, Megan Hochman, ASID, NCIDQ, Director of Interior Design – DC/Senior Associate, and Patricia Sampson, NCIDQ, Senior Project Manager, Senior Associate, discuss tabletops and other product needs for their hospitality projects with Eddie Weber of The Weber Team.
- Segment 2: Tile: Hear all about new tile lines from Amy Gay, Architectural Sales Representative, Daltile, as she presents options to Melissa Moseley, ASID, NCIDQ, CID, LEED AP, Senior Interior Designer, HDR, for her healthcare projects.
- Segment 3: Home Technology: Listen in on a conversation between Shundra Harris, ASID, RID, Founder | Principal Designer, Shundra Harris Interiors, and Pamela Cortes, Echo Workshop, and learn about home technology and entertainment options for residential projects.
- WINTER SERIES
- Segment 1: Paint: Listen as designer Susan Guest, ASID, Owner, Guest Interiors, discusses various options for specifying paint with Shane Jones, Allied ASID, Design Account Executive, Sherwin-Williams Paint.
- Segment 2: Surfaces: Hear all about new options for countertops and other surface applications from Stacy Montero, Manhattan City Manager, Cosentino, as she presents new products to Young Huh, Principal and Founder, Young Huh Interior Design, for her residential projects.
- Segment 3: Furniture: In a departure from our typical "In Conversation" format, Emily Denisar, Regional Director of Sales, Davis Furniture, tells the story of her unique career path as a designer, having worked for a design firm, a multiline rep, a furniture dealer and a major manufacturer.
Design Problem Solving Scenarios
Students get the chance to see how top-notch designers resolve common and complex design problems. Read about the design problem and challenge first, then review the videos from practitioners to see how they solved their problem, including recordings of live “Ask the Expert” sessions where they answered more in-depth questions about their approach.
- Problem Solving Scenario 1 | Room Flexibility
- Problem Solving Scenario 2 | Restroom of the Future
- Problem Solving Scenario 3 | Wellness and Cryotherapy Spa
- Problem Solving Scenario 4 | Patient Check-in
- Problem Solving Scenario 5 | Hospital Patient Room
From Concept to Reality: Construction Docs
Explore the key areas for making a project a reality including the steps to put together a construction documentation set, working with contractors, understanding the submittal review process, and more. Get the inside scoop from Melissa Pribyl, ASID, WELL AP, CHID, CDT (Construction Documents Technologist) as she walks students through a current project under construction.
"Do This, Not That” Instagram Live Pop-Up Sessions
Have your students listen in on a duo of casual and candid conversations with leading designers on Instagram Live. Students can hear stories about these designers’ biggest early-career mistakes, and what they wish they had been told when they first started out. Hosted by Kari Stringfellow, Vice President, Member Experience, ASID, and featuring the following speakers:
- Sandra Diaz-Velasco, ASID, Owner/Principal Architect & Interior Designer, EOLO Design Architecture & Interior Design
- Meena Krenek, ASID, LEED AP, Interior Design Director, Principal, Perkins&Will
Winter Series | "Do This, Not That” Instagram Live Pop-Up Sessions
Have your students listen in on a trio of casual and candid conversations with previous and returning ASID Student Portfolio Competition jury members on Instagram Live. Hear their stories about their experiences with the competition, mistakes they’ve witnessed, and what they hope to see in the future. Featuring:
- Gracie Andraos, ASID, Director of Commercial Interiors, HKS
- David Taglione, Executive Team Leader, ICRAVE
- Mindi Weichman, ASID, LEED NC, Design Director, Studio O+A.